Thursday, December 16, 2010

busy busy busy

Howdy stampers!  Its been another couple of busy days around here.  BUT, tomorrow is the last day of school and hopefully I'll get to take a little breather. 

I got ink today for the December Daily, so I can catch up on that this weekend hopefully. 

I wanted to show you what I made for my Secret Santa for yesterday and today.


Christmas Classics set.  Old olive and riding hood red ink.  Riding hood red cardstock.  Dotted ribbon punch, Newsprint DSP, 5/8" brad, silver glass glitter, retired ribbon and Tombow Multi Glue.

I made her a candle.  Cute eh?  Let me show you what I did.



This is a 4 oz. jelly canning jar. 


I took a votive size candle.  This one happens to be a PartyLite candle, Yuzu flavor.  I think its retired.  I love it though.  Anyway, take out the wick.......


and place it in the jar.  Place that on a cookie sheet or a pie tin.  That way you can stick it in the oven and it will sit straight.  You probably could have put it in the microwave, but I'm a chicken and didn't want the wax to boil over or anything.  The oven was slower and I could monitor it better.


Looks just like a urine sample huh? 

Sorry.

I put the oven on 275 and checked on it every 5 minutes.  After about 20 minutes I turned it up to 300.  After it all melted (another 10 minutes or so) I decided that 1 candle didn't fill it up as much as I wanted it to.  So I stuck another one in there. 


This little nub is what is left of the second one. 


After it wasn't blazing hot anymore but still liquidy, I stuck the wick back in and let it completely cool.   I have to say, it seemed like most of the smell was gone.  Did I burn it off in the oven?  I don't know.

Of course I had to make the lid cute.  Doing so probably gave my identity away but I just couldn't give her an ugly candle, could I?  I knew you'd see it my way.


I was going to try to keep it simple but you can see that didn't work.  I used the Newsprint DSP for the base.  A strip of riding hood red punch with the dotted ribbon punch on the side, old olive and riding hood red markers and a big silver brad.  I used the Tombow Multi glue to glue the lid into the lid rim. 


I put a small line of the Tombow glue around the top edge and pressed it into the glass glitter.  So pretty! 


I put sticky strip around the outside and stuck on some retired Riding hood red taffeta ribbon.  After I tied a big bow I decided it would look pretty hanging on the tree.  Just put a pic on the backside or something.  Just an idea.....



Then I needed to package it up. 


I had a white lunch sack and some kraft crinkly paper. 



I used my scalloped edge punch to pretty it up and stapled my tag to it.  TA DAH!! 

I did pretty good considering I still didn't spend any money.  This would make an excellent hostess gift or small presents for under the tree.  I think I'm going to try that ornament idea with the lid.  I'll show you if it turns out nice. 

Okay, I still have today and tomorrows gifts to show you but I'm so pooped out.  I have one last pic to show you though:


We had a cookie exchange at work today and so last night I needed to make some cookies.  That got the boy so excited.........so I told him he had to help. 


Alrighty then.  I'm going to bed.  Thanks so much for stopping by. 

Blessings, b.

No comments: