Friday, July 2, 2010

wrinkly roses

Hey everybody!  I hope everyone had a great day.  I just got done putting the finishing touches on the make 'n' take and the goodie bags for tomorrow.  I only got one more tag done today.  Its awesome! 

Medallion and Favorite Thoughts (summer mini).  Not quite navy, sahara sand, old olive and NEW Poppy Parade (In Color).  Black Stazon and white craft inks.  Paper piercer, Little Leaves die, white taffeta ribbon, scallop edge punch, curly label punch and hemp.

Pretty huh?  It came out even better than I planned.  Which is cool because that never happens. 

I had the idea of making some wrinkly roses but that was it.  I decided to use a new In Color.  I love this Poppy Parade.  Its a bright reddish orange.  Well, I wasn't sure what colors would go with it (besides Crumb Cake) so I looked at the NEW AND IMPROVED COLOR COACH.  Check this bad boy out



You get a swatch of every color!  Look at the backs


Awesome!  On the back of each color swatch it gives you 2 different color combos.  I used the bottom 3, Sarhara Sand, Not Quite Navy and Poppy Parade.  After I looked at the colors I thought, "hey, those could be kinda patriotic."   Anyway, I love how it turned out.



I started thinking about making the Medallion look like a lace doily.  So I stamped it in white on the Sahara Sand and then cut it out and paper pierced eveywhere there was a dot. 


The words look crooked here but they really aren't.  Its just my mad photography skills showing off again.  For the top I just punched out a Curly Label and folded it in half.  Rocket science. 

Now here is the fun part.


They're so pretty! 
So you want to know how I made these?  Check it out


The biggest flower is a 2 1/2" circle.  The smaller ones are punched out with the 1 3/8" punch. 


Get your aggressions out and crumple the heck outta that circle.


Cut around and around and around in a spiral.  The smaller the width of the spiral the flatter the rose.  I cut this at about 1/4".  Does that make sense?  The wider the width, the higher the rose will sit.  I'll show you what I'm talking about in a minute.


Now starting with the outside edge, roll it in on itself.  Like this


Just keep rolling until the center of the circle sits on the bottom.  Like this



Sorry for the fuzzy pic.  Moving on.......




See how tight it is?  It won't stay that way.  Just let it go and set it down.



 It will start to loosen up.  Now, if we didn't scrunch the heck out of it first, then it would really be loose.  Sometimes I have to help it relax a little by taking the center with my tweezers and unrolling it a little.


Once you like the look of it.  Take your wonderful Tombow Multi Glue and smear some on the bottom flap.


Fold it up.


It will only take a few minutes to set. 

Now remember how I was saying if you made the spiral wider?  Here is what that will look like


Still very pretty but it sits much taller.



The one on the right is what I made for the tag.  The one on the left is what I made for one of my Artisan Award 3D entries.  I'll show you someday. 


They look basically the same on the top. 

So go make some wrinkly roses and show me what you made.  I would love to see.

Remember the bird tag from yesterday?



I wanted it to say something but I couldn't figure out what.  Look what I came up with



I think its cute!  I used the "hello" from  the "hello again" set. 

Alrighty, all the goodie bags are ready to go. 


I'm hoping I have to make more.  Every person who buys some retired stamps gets to choose one of these.  That goes for people I have to ship to also.  So go check out those retired stamps and let me know what you want. 

Okie dokie, I gotta get up early so I'm going to bed. 

Thanks for stopping by.  You make me feel all warm and fuzzy when you do.

Blessings, b.

11 comments:

Marie said...

Love the tags and your step-by-step photos of the flower are GREAT!! Thank you for sharing them!

Patty Bennett said...

Wow wow wow... ESPECIALLY love your medallion in white on sahara sand... wow!!! gorgeous gorgeous!
Patty

Add Ink and Stamp said...

Oh wow those flowers are beautiful I love the new color Poppy Parade and your tag really pulls the colors together.
Congratulations on winning Shelli's Challenge!!

Chris Occhipinti said...

Yay, Beth! Well-deserved kudos and award from Shelli...you rock, girl!

Chris O

Peggy said...

Fabulous work!! love it!!
Peggy
http://stampinpegcadillo.blogspot.com

Gayle Wheeler said...

Congrats on winning the challenge! Beautiful work and FUN commentary. Hehehe.

Ann said...

Fabulous tags Beth! Congrats on the So Shelli win!!

Cindy Major said...

Congrats on your well-deserved win! I love your projects, how you used the Medallion stamp so beautifully, the roses, and thanks for that tutorial!!! :D

Cindy

KilkennyVFX said...

This is a beautiful tag. Thanks for showing us how to make the roses different sizes. I love the medallion in white on the sahara sand. Congratulations on winning the So Shelli Creative challenge. Great job!

Anonymous said...

Not only did you do a great job on the tag, your photography and directions were spot on. Thanks so very much!

Created By You said...

Very pretty, congrats on winning the So Shelli Creative Challenge!