Tuesday, February 16, 2010

bluebird

Hey ya!  We don't have bluebirds around here.  In the mountains and where I grew up, closer to the beach, we have bluejays.  Loud sqawking/bossy birds, but they have so much personality!  We have a blast watching them fight the squirrels for peanuts when we go camping.  Okay, they don't really fight, they just kinda boss them squirrels around. 

Anyway, I envision bluebirds to be more gentle like.  With lovely song and maybe they would perch on your finger like in Cinderella.  Maybe not. 

 I had a birdy in mind for my card and flew on over (ha, get it?) to the Stamping 411 site again for their weekly sketch.

  Here is my bluebird:


Trendy Trees set. Kraft, not quite navy, old olive and whisper white cardstock.  Basic grey and sahara sand inks.  Bella Bleu DSP, 2 step bird punch, blue taffeta ribbon, scallop square die.


Here is another shot without the DSP behind it:


Which do you like better?  With DSP or without DSP?  Hmmmmm..........




I used Basic Grey for the words because it seemed like it wasn't as harsh as black.  Now, check out that scallop square.  I made that using the Scallop Square Die for the Big Shot.  Wanna see how I made it smaller?  Check this out:




I took a 1/4 sheet of whisper white and folded it in half lengthwise.  I tried not to crease it too much. 




I wanted my square to be 6 scallops by 6 scallops.  So I put the folded part in the middle of the die on the 3rd scallop. Does that make sense?




Does this help?  See how I only have 3 scallops on each side?  





Next, keeping it folded, I counted in 6 scallops on the bottom and put the corner in that scallop and cut again.




Get it?





You end up with this cute little scallop square. 




Then I spritzed it with water and ironed out the crease.  Heres a great tip:  make sure the towel you're using is clean.  Guess how I thought of that?  Better yet.........




................ use a paper towel.  Better idea.  I actually threw that cute little scallop away because I got it dirty.   So I didn't get a pic of the finished piece.   And yes, I threw that hand towel in the laundry.  Yuck!


Anyhow, ironing will lessen the crease.  I went ahead and just covered mine with the bird.  No one will know.




Okay peeps, thats it for today.  I'm pooped!  Thanks for stopping by and keeping me company. 

Blessings, b.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Super cute card Beth - love your little bluebird and thanks for the idea with the scallop square!
Glad you flew over to the 411 this week!

Hi, I'm Lee Conrey! said...

What a great idea.....thanks so much for sharing and your card is adorable!!

Patti Chesky said...

I agree with you....those bluejays are loud and little bullies too!!!!

You card is so sweet!!! Thanks for the scallop square tip!! I will be using that for sure!!!

gbarron56 said...

wow -- such a beautiful, soft feel to this card. Just lovely! Thanks so much for playing along with the Stamping 411 Saturday Sketch Challenge. We hope you'll be back for more soon! Blessings, Gretchen -- www.gretchenbarron.typepad.com

Patsy Waggoner said...

Beautiful Card, and love the idea of adjusting the scallop square.

Stampingly,
Patsy

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

One the other hand some bluebirds are dumber than dirt. A variety I found in Arkansas in the Ozark mountains are ground nesters and their favorite place seems to be the red clay roads through the mountains. Can you say SPLAT! Could explain why the bluebird of happiness is a rare bird some days!

Love the card and the tips - thanks for sharing - Jean