Monday, January 16, 2012

I have a dream.........

Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day! 

When I was a kid we always studied Dr. King and Lincoln and Washington during this time of year because of the holidays.  I mean we get the day off to celebrate these guys, shouldn't we know a little about them? 

Nowadays though, the kids don't study them.  They have no idea who MLK is, ( well the kids at my school that I talked to about it anyway).  Sure they know Lincoln and Washington were presidents but not what they stood for.  Kinda sad I think. 

So tonight we were discussing why we have today off of school and work and specifically the "I have a dream" speech and it turned into the perfect teaching moment. 

Grace has been invited to audition for Honor Band.  A pretty big deal.  I was surprised (but I didn't show it) that she wanted to go for it.  I'm so happy she even joined band much less try out for Honor Band. 

Tomorrow is the big day.  She has been practicing for a month now..............and she is freaking out.

Anybody who knows Grace, knows that she is a sensitive child.  Much to my dismay sometimes (alot of times).  She can cry at the drop of a hat and worries about EVERYTHING.  She hates new experiences and tries too hard to please. 

So, we were talking about the vision Dr. King had.  That he let people know about his dream and that he did something about it.  He wanted to change the world......and that he asked God for help.

I encouraged her to have a dream too.  Not that her dream would change the world necessarily but it would change her world.  By having the courage to try, by asking me to help, by asking her teacher to help, by asking God to help, that she could do this

I'm so proud of her whether she gets the position or not, but I think I need to practice what I preach.  There are a few comfort zones I need to step out of.

"......with God all things are possible."  Matthew 19:26



You know I had a totally different post in mind when I sat down to write tonight but this is what came out.  I think I'll let it be for today and I'll have something stampy to show you tomorrow. 

I hope nobody is offended or put off.  This was not my intent.  I hope that you feel encouraged to DREAM BIG.  I do.  Go MLK!

Blessings, b.

No comments: