Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving story

Helloooooooo,

How is everyone today?  I hope everyone had a fabulous Thanksgiving.  We were gone the whole week visiting my dad in New Mexico.  We just got back Sunday night and I've been working at work and working on getting things back in order around here. 

Tomorrow is December 1st.  Do you have your December Daily ready to go?  Yeah, me neither.  I've been gone.  I'm a loser.  I'm a procrastinator.  I'm behind. 

BUT, I'm still forging ahead and am going to start it tomorrow.  I'll just have to do a little catching up on getting things in the book.  I'll show you how its going. 

So I have no stamping goodness to share tonight.  But, I do have pics to share with you.  Not that you really care, just indulge me, okay? 

Here is my Thanksgiving:




We started here.  Okay, we actually started on the 15 North to the 40 East. 


Here is the butt of our cute little pop up trailer.  We had to take 2 cars.  My dad got his special wheelchair and needed a van to modify.  Our friend happened to be selling one for an awesome price and we drove it back there for him.  Very nice van.  Honda Odyssey.  I liked it alot.  So the boy and Grace and I drove the van.  Actually the boy only let me drive for 2 hours.  He hogged it the rest of the way.  Its about a 12 hour drive.

Even though my dad's house is very spread out, its only a 2 bedroom house.  The extra room has a twin bed in it.  So we had planned on sleeping in the trailer the whole time.  We knew it would be super cold but the trailer has a super duper heater in it.  We left it there and will pick it up in the summer when we visit again. 



Hello Arizona!  I know, I take pics of weird stuff.


Hogger!
We ended up staying in Flagstaff to break up the drive.  This is the next morning.  See that snow in the background?  I hate driving in snow.  Makes me reeeeeeal nervous.  I'm not sure how people in snowy states do it. 
Yep, I'm a wuss.



Doesn't this look like the landscape in the movie Cars?  Yep, I'm a dork too.



Hello New Mexico!



My hubs was in his element in my dad's shop.  My dad is an architect and loves to build things.  Here the hubs is building some new ramps for the wheelchair.


The boy did lots of wood chopping.  Getting Grampa set up for a few weeks.


Being goofy, working really hard............NOT! 


My dad has ALS, Lou Gehrig's disease.  You can read about his diagnoses here
This is my dad's favorite spot in the house.  I should have sat in the chair and taken a few pics showing his view.  Maybe next time.


For some reason my dad wanted  the dirt/weeds mowed.  He lives on 2 acres.  Its actually kinda pretty and green in the spring/summer.  It was really cold! 


Thankgiving dinner. Yummy food!


Here is Dad using the special wheelchair for the first time to get the paper.  As you can see the driveway is really long and he wasn't able to get down there at all anymore.  This chair has big ol' knobby tires on it.  It will certainly give him a little more freedom and independence. 


This is the brick walkway we laid last spring when we were there.  Makes it easier to manuever.  Those are the devil dogs.  They rescued 2 pit bulls 11 years ago.  One is nicer and gets used to us quickly.  The other is named Sadie.  I say that is short for Sadistic.  She warms up but it takes her a few days. 


This is a shot of the house from the gate by the road.  Looooong driveway. 


Little girl climbing trees. 

So there you have it.  My Thankgiving.  I was planning on doing a special scrapbook about this trip.  But really, I think it just deserves a 2 page spread.  There just isn't enough for a whole book.  

One story I will make sure to document is the night we ran out of propane for the heater.  Our heater works really well and we had been pretty toasty.  But it ran alot because it was cold.  So the night we have no propane, us smart girls made up beds in my dad's office, which has a heater.  The unsmart men, decided to stick it out and sleep in the trailer anyway.  With about a million blankets on their sleeping bags. 

That was the coldest night we were there.  The news said it would only be 8 degrees.  It was so cold!  But clear.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Anyway, they of course froze their butts off.  But the funniest thing that had me chuckling for an hour, was that my son had taken out his contact lenses and put them in their case and left them on the table in the trailer.  Well they were frozen in the morning!  HA HA HA!  I laughed so hard.  What a numnut!  I'm easily entertained. 

Anyhow, I'm so glad we got to see my dad and help out around the house.  I wish things were different and that we lived closer but, it is what it is. 

Thanks so much for stopping by.  I hope to have some stamping goodness to show you in the next few days.  I have a list of projects to get done. 

Blessings, b.

No comments: