Friday, July 23, 2010

funky birdhouse and exciting news

Hey everyone!  I hope you had a wonderful day. 

Convention is going on right now and I'm not there.  BooHoo.  So I've been lurking in webland living vicariously through others who are there.  My good buddy Susan (hey girl!) let me know this morning that I was named one of the Artisan Award Finalists last night!  How cool is that?  I mean, I think they actually said my name OUT LOUD on stage!  WOW!  Not quite as good as actually winning but, I'll take it.  Made my whole day. 

Here are the list of finalists:

Deborah Paise
Cindy Beach
Heidi King
Melissa Riker
Sandra Farrell
Lynsay Mahon
Beth Prout
Ellen Raymond
Amy O'Neil
Jennifer Thomas
Ilina Crouse
Ashely Van Camp
Ann M. Fitton
Jan Tinklenberg
Deborah Pippin
Rochelle Gould
Staci Lynch
Amy Bollman
Mary Bieber
Lynn Pratt
Jennifer Picard
Jennifer Diercks

I've seen the work of some of these ladies and to be in a group with them is just mind blowing.  They are so talented! 

So today I thought I'd show you my favorite project from my Artisan Award entries.


Eastern Blooms and Woodgrain stamps.  Sahara sand, soft suede, rose red, regal rose and whisper white cardstock.  Soft suede and sarhara sand inks.  Sponging, tombow multi glue, distresser from the cutter kit.


Sorry for the fuzzy pic.  It was taken at the 11th hour. 

My funky birdhouse.  I just love it!  It wasn't intended to be so funky but for the life of me I couldn't line things up properly.  There is no template, sorry folks. 

It stood about 8 inches tall.  It was the first idea I had for the Artisan Award contest and the last thing I finished.  Go figure......


I had wanted to have the look of weathered and whitewashed wood.  I'm not sure I really accomplished that though.  I stamped the flowers in the soft suede and then added little leaves with my old olive marker. 


For the flowers, I used the distresser from the cutter kit.  When you use it repeatedly over one area you start to get these little fuzzies.  I used the rose red, whisper white and regal rose cardstocks and when I was done getting fuzzies I put them all together.  You should have seen the mess! 


Same thing, other side.


the backside.  See the little feet?  I wanted to get wooden beads, but I just ran out of time.  So I very quickly made little rectangluar feeties.  I think I scored at 1/4" and glued them up.  I put them on with the Tombow Multi.  Have I told you I love that stuff?  I love that stuff.  I wasn't in the least worried about anything falling apart.


Ahhhh...........the roof.  This was the hardest part of the whole thing.  There was just no way I could line these up.  And I'm too much of a dork to figure out a good pattern.  I can't tell you the amount of cardstock I went through!  I have 2 or 3 dimensionals between each layer to make it separate. 

This was my favorite and I hated to let it go.  I mean there are things I see now that I could add or do differently but, its funky and quirky and I love it.



On the inside I put some raffia.  And since it was Easter time, I hot glued some blue Robin's Eggs candy in there.  I couldn't send it empty could I? 

The only thing about this project that I don't like is, there is no use for it.  Other than it is totally cute.  The roof does not come off.  I tried playing with that idea but it just wouldn't work.  So it serves no function at all.  Other than it is totally cute.  And maybe a home for spiders.

Okie dokie, thats it for tonight. 

Thanks so much for stopping by and sending/leaving me your comments.  I appreciate it so much.

Blessings, b.

No comments: