Thursday, September 24, 2009

cracked up flowers

Sorry about the absence. I've been battling a migraine for days now. I decided to stay home today and just take it easy with my meds. It worked! I still have a headache and will have a migraine hangover for a day or 2 but I'm so much better. And hopefully that sucker won't be back for a long while.

So remember, I told you I had a few more ideas for these flowers? Pretty huh?


Country Morning. Kraft, perfect plum and watercolor paper. Versamark, Pale plum, going gray, old olive, more mustard, creamy caramel and brocade blue ink. Aquapainter, kraft tafetta ribbon, glassy glaze, stampamajig.

I was reminded of an old technique by reading Heather Nichols blog several weeks ago. (She is one of my stamping idols. She is awesome!) I did this technique years ago at a class. Its called "cracked glass". Here is how you do it.


ink up the entire image with Versamark.

then press the whole thing into the glassy glaze powder. Glassy glaze is a coarse embossing powder (thats kind of an oxymoron isn't it?) Don't mind the red stuff on my thumb. I had just made koolaid and..................... I'm a slob.


then you heat it up with your heat tool. It will look all bumpy like this. Just repeat using the versamark, powder, heat.



I did this one 4 times. It will come out really smooth and thick.




stick it in the freezer for about 5 min. If you live somewhere other than the surface of the sun, like me, then this step may not be neccessary. It was over 100 again the day I did this and all it would do is bend. Freezing it makes it easy to crack.




see? Just bend it and it will crack. If it cracks in a way that you don't like, all you have to do is heat it up again and then freeze and crack.

I didn't seem to take a pic of me rubbing in the creamy caramel ink. Use your sponge to rub ink into the cracks and age it.

viola!
This is a really cool technique. One of the oldies but goodies. Please let me know if you need help with it or anything else.
I have another idea for this image. Hopefully I'll get it put up tomorrow.
Blessings, b.

No comments: