Friday, March 12, 2010

epiphany

Good morning.   I've been thinking lately about my scrapbooking.  Or lack thereof.

I think of scrapbooking as a story with pics.  I think everyone has a story to tell.  Many, many, many stories to tell. 

I think having lost my mother as a teenager has made me even more aware that, the important/special  stories we have to tell aren't always the monumental moments of our lives.  My mother was a "sometimes" scrapper early in my life.  She was kinda hit and miss with it up until I reached school age.   I now treasure what she has done.

I think of the Dec. Daily scrapbook as alot of those important/special stories of a period of time in our lives.  Now mind you, my family does not see the specialness of this book.  And I will admit that some of those pages are definitely not so special.   But they are what they are.


 I have a journal I use when we go on vacation.  I tuck extra things in there like tickets or menus or maps.  But, the pics that go with those stories never find their way out of the computer.  For the last few years (years!) I've been trying to think of a way to have a book that includes the journal like I do now but has free flowing space for the pics that go with that story.  I hadn't been able to think of a way to do it in an easy adaptable way. 

Well yesterday as I was folding laundry, I had an epiphany.

e·piph·a·ny [ i píffənee ] (plural e·piph·a·nies)


noun


Definition:


1. sudden realization: a sudden intuitive leap of understanding, especially through an ordinary but striking occurrence


          It came to him in an epiphany what his life's work was to be.




2. appearance of god: the supposed manifestation of a divine being




[Early 17th century. See Epiphany]

 
Both of these definitions fit what happened yesterday.  So I was folding laundry and I wasn't even thinking about scrapbooking and it hit me:  Use an 8 1/2" x 11" binder with notebook paper for the stories and then either just punch holes in the map/menu/brochure and stick it in there or add page protectors or a whole scrapbook page.  It wouldn't be limited to vacations.  I could use it everyday if I wanted to!  I thought this was such a great idea.  It takes me so long to make decisions or come up with ideas.  Yeah, I don't know why.
 
So, I started planning in my head how I would do this and got excited.  When the hubs came home from work I told him I had had an epiphany (he loves when I use big words) and he just nodded his head like he understood and cared.  Regardless, I was feeling pretty good about my idea. 
 
So I go to bed later and I'm thanking the good Lord for my day and for bringing this obvious option to my scrapbooking problem to my mind.  When all of a sudden it hit me: like God just thumped me upside the head, " Yeah Beth, isn't that Ali Edwards is doing with her 365: Project Life?"
 
Um.....yeah, I guess so.  Duh.  I had seen that idea several months ago and never put it towards this idea. 
 
It takes me a long time to see the forest through the trees.  Anyway, I'm excited to get started.  How about you?  I know you have lots of stories to tell.  Whether you have kids or a significant other or parents or animals.  Putting your story down is theraputic.  Its awesome!  Just do it! 
 
Blessings, b.

No comments: